I’ve been using Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 16 for the past two weeks in an attempt to finally learn how to type. You’d think that as a programmer from the age of 10 I would have learned to touch-type, but I just never bothered. As a 5-finger typist I can pull more than 40 words a minute, but after seeing Scott Hansleman’s numbers _place_holder;(100 WPM at his peak), I decided I needed to do better. I’m crossing the 30 WPM mark in Mavis, and when I get close to 40, I’ll switch full time. We’ll see how it goes.
I wonder how many professional developers actually touch type? Do you? Do your co-workers?
- Music Plasma - This is very cool. Apparently it uses the Amazon “people who also bought” statistics to show you how bands are related to one another. Very cool. [via Craig Andera]
- Warning Stickers on Bibles - This is an interesting take on the creationism warning sticker debate. I suppose we will end up with warning stickers on everything at some point.
- CAPTCHA ASP.NET Control - An server control that gives you those “type the letters from the image” tools to stop automated form submissions. [via Scott Hanselman]
- Interactive Wallpaper - Brian Button just sent me this via IM and I had to blog it. Very cool.
- Pee Wee Herman’s Next Two Movies - He’s back! [via Boing Boing]